Monday, February 6, 2012

Good Reads: Anthropology

Archive

I've been following this work for a while, but have been incredibly hesitant to post about it. Because if it wasn't fanfiction, it would be SEVERELY lacking in important elements that make up a well-written story. The events of the story are solid, and the characterization of Lyra is entertaining. But there is nothing else to this work.

Its formatted like a bare-bones draft of a story. You can get the gist of everything else, but it is desperately in need of world detail, of character detail, of style and flair. I'm not getting a strong impression of any of the other characters, and no one aside from Lyra moves into three dimensions. Rarely to they even make it to two. The plotting is good, but every other aspect of it is token to the point of meaninglessness. I don't even think the author is attempting to make anything more than a character study, and if I attempted to approach discussion from an angle other than that, I would bomb the hell out of this piece.

But for people who just want a good story, a good character, and can easily accept lack of the rest, I can offer a recommendation. I mean, picky pony me reads it, despite the flaws. That's gotta mean something.

Score: I like Lyra's Plot

No comments:

Post a Comment