Sunday, December 11, 2011

One Shot: Lyra's Little Dream

(source)
Had an idea in my head for a while, and wanted to experiment with voice. It came out a little giggly, maybe even childish. I dont know what common fan depiction of Lyra is, but she seems cheerful.


Lyra’s Little Dream

Bon Bon, I just had the most wonderful dream! Can I share it with you?
It was an open field... Not one around here, but bright, sunny, a bit windy too! I was standing on my hind legs. Just standing. It took me a while, well, as much as a while can be in dreams, but I realized something weird was going on. I was standing so easily, without support. I didn’t have to strain to stand at all. I could just… do!
But that’s not the interesting part!
I was wondering, hey, how could I stand like this for so long? And I noticed, my legs looked a bit funny. And on top of that, no sorry, at the base of the funny-looking legs, I didn’t have hooves, I had something else entirely. Something fantastic. Some weird kind of feet! Feet that were soft and squishy, almost no nail to them at all.
While I stood on the grass, I could feel so much about it. I could feel itty bitty pebbles and loose bits of dirt. I wiggled my many toes, and between each of them there was grass, soil, getting all caught up and moved around. That grass rubbed against me, and I could feel it each time the wind shifted their blades. They scratched and itched... Such little feelings I had never noticed when I had hooves.
I wanted to reach down, to scratch my feet, but inspect them as well. How could they have transformed like this? Usually you don’t think about these things in dreams, but gosh, I was really curious! And as I reached down, my body folded all weird… but more importantly, I didn’t have hooves on my front legs either. I had hands! The kind you see on monkeys, all curly and flexy and just... Well, I just stopped thinking about my feet right then, this was a new wonder!
I stretched out each finger, feeling them move, then feeling them rest. They would never stay straight, and would always fold back down. I could move each part independently, wave them around, touch them…
No! Bon Bon, the most interesting part of the dream was how they felt! I could feel the tiniest things! I could barely touch something, and know if it was smooth or rough. Dirt was fascinating, I could feel each tiny little grain and rock! Sometimes stuff stuck to my hands, and I could tell you when that happened, just by feeling it! You always pick on me for tracking dirt in the house, it’s so hard to realize my hooves are muddy… I think I’d know if I walked in on my hands and feet!
Oh, I played in the grass and dirt, picked flowers and picked them apart with ease. Things that I couldn’t even think of doing with hooves… Have you ever ripped a blade of grass in half? Lengthwise? I didn’t even think it was possible! But my hands could pick apart that grass, not only split it in half, but into multiple strips!
It was wonderful!
No, no, no! The best part was right before I woke up, I remember now!
I was in that windy little field, running around and playing and enjoying this weird dream. I didn’t know at first, but someone else was there with me. Watching over me, I think, but I couldn’t tell who it was. They were always standing in the sun, making my eyes go all blurry and squinty. Whenever I looked, I felt like I was waking up… I didn’t want to leave my field! So I ignored that person.
            But this other person, they didn’t want to be ignored. Their hand reached for mine and… Well…
I could always feel each of my own fingers rubbing against the others. It wasn’t a strong feeling, but it was there. I held grass between my fingers, and that was interesting. But none of it was quite as interesting as what the other person did. A hand wrapped and tucked into my hand, placing their own fingers between each of my fingers. Its hand squeezed so tightly, I didn’t think anything could break it’s grasp. Yet it was so warm, so close. Like a hug, no, better than a hug. Stronger, tighter. Two hands woven together, fully connecting, completely feeling the other person… I felt then, this is what love is. Two hands tightly held together is the purest symbol of love I could possibly think of.
            So of course I knew instantly who that pony could be! I looked up to greet her but… then I woke up! Of course!
It was such a wonderful, beautiful dream. I hope someday I can have that dream again. Maybe I can have it with you, Bon Bon.

No comments:

Post a Comment