Thursday, December 29, 2011

Favorite Pony?

Y'know, this has kindve been bugging me for a while Who is my favorite pony?

I mean, I love Celestia, I see so much potential in her. 
When I see Celestia, I see her history, I see what’s inside, or rather, I imagine what’s inside. What is she always doing? What are her powers and limitations? How does she relate to people? I mean, I wrote a fanfic about it, but I'm still curious, I still want to explore more. I have at least two other stories about Celestia in the works. Maybe more. She seems so full of potential, so fascinating.
Even when people call her a tyrant, that only makes her MORE interesting! Then she becomes affably evil, distanced, ruling with an iron hoof because she does not give a crap. I mean, that’s the first chapter of Sunset Looms right there!

But Celestia isn’t what My Little Pony is about. Celestia in the show is in the background, a mentor character. A pleasant person with a few quirks, a god that lets the ponies do what they naturally do, helping them where needed. In the show, I dont really see her as a tyrant, because she's not. She is an extension of the world, and the world is a bright and colorful paradise. I like the idea of Celestia more than I do her actual character.

So when people ask "who's your favorite pony?" I say Applejack or Applebloom. There have been episodes about them. We know who they are and what they do. We are allowed to understand them as humanlike characters.

But... it doesnt sit right to just say that, you know? Applejack is definitely my favorite of the Mane 6, but I dont get excited to see her, or Applebloom for that matter. On the other hoof, When Celestia drops out of the sky, I go "hell yeah, Celestia!" 

Can I claim Celestia to be my favorite pony, based on my adoration of what she could be, rather than what she really is?

Eh.

Next project is about Celestia, Luna, and Discord. God, do I look forward to writing it.

1 comment:

  1. I just read Sunset Looms, all of it, I didn't even dare to get up of my chair.
    I personally don't like Applejack, but I love Applebloom, and from the main cast I love the way that Fluttershy is in some episodes, I mean when she is something more than an adorable diabetes inducing character. Rarity had an intensive character development throght the second season and she slowly made to my top alongside with Twilight, I even share some traits with this last two.
    And about liking a character for its potential, I think that the potential is one of the most important character traits, It's what makes a character interesting and is what makes you expect thing from them. So, if Celestia is your favorite for that reason then is totally valid.
    I was about to write some fanfics myself, but I have some "language problems" since I'm not a native english speaker and I never learnt from a proffesor or something like that. And still I'm the guy who makes strangely long comments in a blogger that he just discovered. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete