Monday, January 2, 2012

Good Reads: My Little Chrono: Triggers are Magic

Archive


I dont have much to say about this one, but I'm reading it to the end, so I thought I'd write a quick review.

This story is like eating popcorn. Each chapter goes by quick and is individually entertaining. It’s nothing super substantial or weighty, it’s just a bit of fun to see which ponies play what roles, and how they affect the story.

I have no clue how this must read to someone who never played Chrono Trigger, but for those who havnt, the Mane cast feels written properly, no, actually, more than that. They're entertaining and enjoyable. Just as fun as the show. Better even, in some cases. I really dont like Rainbow Dash in the show, but she's written here as I feel she should be: mostly self-concerned, but fiercely loyal to her friends, trying as hard as she can to protect them. Also, actually badass. If one's not familiar with Chrono Trigger, I'd recommend this story just to read the Mane 6's antics.

The writing style is the only thing I've got to bang on about, as I tend to do. Some of the emotions are summarized and writing clichés come close to being overused, but the style is serviceable. It says what it wants to say, and the departures from the original game mostly add to the story instead of detracting from it. I mean, a couple of scenes really didnt need to be in there, like Firefly arguing about food shortages. But its easy enough to gloss over the boring parts. Individual scenes are very clearly separated by large dividers, and if you already know the story of Chrono Trigger, it doesnt depart enough to leave you confused.

And another thing... This was a bonus to me, but I dunno, some people might find it off-putting. Combat is very bloodless. Rainbow Dash cuts and slashes and the peoples fall down without much of a fuss. Its something I havnt seen in a while, in both fanfiction and published works, and I greatly appreciated the writer's restraint.

Score: This popcorn is the movie butter kind! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment