Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Good Reads: Through the Eyes of Another Pony

Archive


This story has no right to be good. No, it had no reason to be good.

This is what I'm going to point to when people dont beleive you can write a good story out of the crappiest of fanfiction. "OMG I'm a pony and I'm in Equestria"? That is the absolute worst, most mastubatory topic you can ever think of.
Worse, it does every. Single. Self-indulgent thing that you expect from these fanfics. Name a thing, it does it. It almost makes me think this was written on a dare, this good of a writer can't NOT be aware of all the terrible self-insert tropes he's bringing up.
And thats the thing. It's good. Better than good. This is the best writing I have ever encountered in a fanfiction. This is better than writing I've encountered in college workshops. Its better than some of the crappier books I've read. The only complaints I could give would be ones I'd direct at a professional work, which isnt entirely fair. I'd say none of the ponies or locations feel like they're fleshed out or explained, but its frikkin fanfiction, you know who these ponies are! You know what Ponyville looks like! Shut up!

The only real, non-professional issue I could bring up is that the guy can't write danger well, but who gives a crap? Thats not the focus of the story. The focus of the story is the beleiveable and entertaining response to arriving in Equestria as a super pony marty stu. Hell, if you're going to self-insert, go all the way, am I right?
But the guy is just so damn charasmatic. And not in the telling 'by the way, this guy, he was so charasmatic. he had all the smooth moves' kind of way. In the kind of way that you write a good, believable, flawed, complicated person, and so convinced of his reality, you admit to yourself that he's a real fictional being, and think that he's charismatic to yourself afterwards.

This story gives me renewed hope for fanfiction and its writers. There are people who know what makes a character, and writing itself, interesting.

Score: If I could write like that, I could call myself an author.

2 comments:

  1. Your words make me feel all squishy and warm inside. n.n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, you ARE warm and gooshy on the inside.
      Like a Tauntaun.



      PS: Enjoying the story. (Applebloom's allergy makes her a little horse. LOL.)

      Delete